Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Front Door Decor - Burlap Bubble Wreath

The door to my apartment was lacking love. All it had was a colorful mat to wipe your feet on. So, I decided it was time to try my hand at wreath making. My friend Megan has a wreath business on Etsy called Burlap Belle and I actually had her make a wreath for my mom's Christmas present last year...which turned out awesome. Through her inspiration, I decided to give it a shot myself this time. I enjoy a good craft on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

To start this project you will need:

  • 1-2 yards of burlap
  • a styrofoam wreath ring
  • scissors
  • seamstress pins

The first step is to start cutting your burlap into squares. You want each square to be about 2-3 inches by 2-3 inches. The smaller the square, the smaller the burlap bubble. You get the picture. Then you take a square and put all four corners together and pin it to the wreath, so it looks like a bubble. You repeat this with each square until your entire wreath is covered, except for the back. You just pin, pin, pin the burlap bubbles right up next to each other to cover up the styrofoam.  

I actually cut the burlap as I go, so I don't get to the end and have tons of burlap squares leftover that are useless. I cut several squares, then I pin them to the wreath until I run out. Repeating the process until the whole wreath is covered.

For this wreath, I wanted something simple that I could add to for each season. So I chose a natural burlap instead of a color. For now, I have added a green burlap bow with some decor behind the bow. I already have my additions for fall. So come September, I will be changing up the decor on the wreath. I'll keep you updated on it's seasonal changes!

Here are some pictures of the process and finished product.


Lonely door.




No comments:

Post a Comment